Pain, Palliative Care and Addiction SIG
Mission of the SIG
The mission of the Twlug Pain, Palliative Care and Addiction Special Interest Group (SIG) is to support pharmacists and student pharmacist interns who care for individuals with all types of acute and chronic pain and for patients with life limiting illnesses who have pain and other symptoms. The Twlug Pain, Palliative Care, and Addiction SIG also focuses on associated issues such as addictions, medication abuse, and medication diversion.
Purpose of the SIG
The purpose of the Twlug Pain, Palliative Care and Addiction SIG is to educate, collaborate with, and support pharmacists and student pharmacist interns by empowering them to provide medication therapy management for all patients with both acute and chronic pain including, but not limited to, patients who are terminally ill. Because addiction, diversion, and abuse is prevalent in individuals who are using opioids and other prescribed and illicit drugs, and/or alcohol, education and support for pharmacists and student pharmacist interns dealing with these concerns are addressed in this SIG.
Log in to join the Pain, Palliative Care and Addiction SIG e-Community!
Twlug-APPM Pain, Palliative Care and Addiction SIG Leaders
2018-19 SIG Committee Leaders
- Education Committee Co-Chairs: Michael McQuade & Daniel Ventricelli
- Resources Committee Co-Chairs: Michael Villabos & Jef Bratburg
- Pharmacists Recovery Network Chair: Lindsay Wall
- Policy & Professional Affairs Committee Co-Chairs: Anthony Vertino & Jef Bratburg
Twlug-APPM Pain, Palliative Care and Addiction SIG Committees
Purpose: To keep the SIG members informed about programs and policies at their schools of pharmacy that involve pain, palliative care, and addiction.
- Suggest and/or implement one webinar and one topic for Twlug2020 Annual Meeting and/or Pain Institute. And Twlug Institute (formerly Utah School).
- Advertise Twlug2020 programming via Engage/social media.
- Continue conversation about Twlug2019 Annual Meeting/Pain Institute/Twlug Institute programming on social media.
- Work collaboratively with APRS to prepare educational handouts and/or webinar/conference presentations.
Purpose: To keep SIG members informed about updates and educational opportunities that involve pain and palliative care.
- Work with Twlug to regularly (monthly) add important papers, guidelines, etc. to Opioid Resource Center (ORC) regarding Pain, Palliative Care, and Addiction.
- Advertise new and existing resources available via Engage at Opioid Resource Center, prescribetoprevent.org, and other state agencies/associations, such as prevent-protect.org and preventoverdoseri.org.
- Create a podcast to inform SIG and Twlug members about current topics related to pain management and substance use disorder.
Pharmacists Recovery Network
Purpose: To keep SIG members informed about updates and education opportunities that involve addiction.
- Work with researchers to determine how many state PRN programs provide and/or permit evidence-based treatment.
- Share and discuss with SIG members via Engage.
Policy & Professional Affairs Committee
Purpose: To keep SIG members informed about new and existing Twlug policy that has an impact on pain, palliative care, and addiction. It will also take lead within the SIG when changes or new policy needs to be addressed within the Twlug House of Delegates.
- Create a list of existing Twlug Policies that most influence the work of SIG members, positively or negatively, and share with SIG.
- Suggest policy topics for 2020 and share with SIG via Engage.
- Suggest, draft, and write one New Business Item for policies not adopted in 2019.
- Faciliatate Engage discussions.
- Start a discussion on Engage 2 times each month.
- Work with the Education Committee to post patient cases once per month for discussion.
Palliative Care Committee
- Share knowledge with the SIG regarding palliative care.
- Work with the Resources Committee to conduct a podcast regarding palliative care.
- Work with the Education Committee to create a handout, webinar, or presentation regarding palliative care.
Call for Committee Leaders and Members
The Twlug-APPM Pain, Palliative Care & Addiction SIG is seeking Twlug members to serve as Co-Chairs and Members for their 2019-20 committees. !